Sweet as Honey

I used to have a dog named Honey. She was sweet and happy but she was also kind of dumb and could be a jerk sometimes. I love her anyway. When we first got her, my mom homeschooled my two siblings and I so she had constant attention. I took care of her, for the most part. For example, feeding or bathing her, taking her on walks, she even slept in my bed. However, last year we had to give her away because we couldn't take care of her and there was nobody for her to hang out with during the day.
This lack of attention during the day led to her becoming sad and a little fat. I knew that this is not what I wanted for her and I knew she would be much happier elsewhere. However, I still didn't feel ready to let her go because she was my best friend. My siblings (now 10 and 15) wanted to keep her as well, but I found their reasons to be more on the selfish side. Anyways, one day, my mom said that she had found a home for her. At this point, I had been preparing for a while and tried to be as ready as possible so I could be strong for my siblings. I had been contemplating whether or not it would be better for her to visit her sometimes. I made the conclusion that it would probably be easier for her to move on if we didn't visit. Overall, I wasn't ready to let her go but agreed it wasn't about me, it was about her and what's best for her. I want the best for her, I was just sad that the best for her couldn't be with me.
Anyways, the day came for her to go to her new home, which happened to be a couple of streets away. My mom told me to walk her there since it was so close, so I did that while my siblings and mom drove ahead with all of her things. It was very hot outside that day, so on the way, we stopped to take a small break in a patch of grass. Coincidentally, it was very quiet where we sat; allowing for many thoughts to be thought. However, I looked over at Honey and everything was silent in my head. Suddenly, a tremendous calm came over me and it felt as if we were on the same level, like we were connected.
I don't know how long we sat there but eventually, we got back up and went to the house; and I gave her away. Technically, we all gave her away but I think we all did personally if you know what I mean. Anyways, at the assembly at the beginning of the year, I thought about that time in the grass--the last time she was still mine. 

Comments

  1. This was very selfless of you to have done. It's hard to put the needs of others before our own, especially when doing so would be in direct conflict with what we want. I'm sure Honey is loved in her new home, and it sounds like your family loved her a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are mans best friend for a reason, we develop extremely strong connections with them as they are part of our family. I think it shows how much you love her to find her a new family, you knew what was best for her and what she needed and you made sure she got that. I can't imagine what you feel but I am glad that you had such a nice moment with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this must have been really hard. It is really sad that you did not have enough time to take care of the dog, but it was a very selfless act to give her a better life. Also, I think the name Honey is so cute for a dog. I imagine the dog being a golden retriever with that name lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puerto Rico > school

Gumbo

Riding through the mundane