The Hills

Hey guys, today I want to take y'all back a step. Do you remember "The Hills"? "The Hills" by The Weeknd came out in 2015. I didn't even have to press enter on my google search to find this out. It was like a calculation; google was programmed to already know the answer. Anyway, I want to share with you my experience with this classic.
The first time I remember hearing "The Hills" was around a year after when "Trap Queen" by Fetty Wap came out in 2014. In 2015, I was around 12-13 years old, a very impressionable age in my opinion. Therefore, the first time I heard this song, hanging out with my cousins in my grandparent's bedroom, it was seared into my brain forever.
Specifically, I think we were getting ready for church that night. The sun was just setting and there were curling irons on the bathroom counter. We also had a bunch of jewelry everywhere, bracelets on the floor and necklaces hanging from the lights. It was summer. For me, it was the summer that came right after 7th grade. There were 4 of us then: me (13), my sister Brenna (11), my cousin Maci (14), and my cousin Ava (12). Between the 4 of us, we wreacked havoc on our grandparents' house every other weekend when they were with their dad. At this point, we had grown out of playing fairies in the yard or with barbies inside. We were more into music and games on our phones which we had recently got. That's why, this night, music made a bigger difference than it maybe would have before.
I remember specifically when my cousin Maci turned it on for the first time. I was wearing a panda hat that I was really proud of and Maci's maroon crop top on (with an aqua tank top on underneath). I was happy with this outfit because I had never worn a crop top before. Next to me, my cousin Maci as curling her hair in the mirror with sparkly cowgirl boots on. Behind me, stood my cousin Ava and my sister, who were both wearing rainbow/tye-dye.
The song came right after "Salute" by Little Mix (2013). I remember hearing it and a completely different aura came on over the room. It was an entirely new experience for me but I pretended I knew the words anyway. It was like the bass was pulsing through my brain and I absolutely loved it.  For a whole 3 minutes and 54 seconds, I felt like a new person. I've never been the same since. After "The Hills" came "Hotline Bling" by Drake and, with that, the moment was gone, but I still remember it like it was a month ago.
Overall, "The Hills" by The Weeknd is a classic and deserves never to be forgotten. If you don't like it, you don't understand. Also, I've listened to the song about 17 times consecutively in writing this post and I have zero regrets.
Here is a link for easy access: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzTuBuRdAyA

Comments

  1. This song is the reason I only call people after 5:30. I remember when it came out my sister would blast it all the time in her car and the bass would rattle the entire car. Classic song from this decade that I don't think I'll ever forget it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gumbo

Puerto Rico > school

Riding through the mundane